Organic Chemistry: Structure and Function
Organic Chemistry: Structure and Function 8e maintains the classic framework with a logical organization that an organic molecule’s structure will determine its function and strengthens a focus on helping students understand reactions, mechanisms, and synthetic analysis and their practical applications. The eighth edition presents a refined methodology, rooted in teaching expertise to promote student understanding and build problem solving skills. Paired with SaplingPlus, students will have access to an interactive and fully mobile ebook, interactive media features and well respected Sapling tutorial style problems―Where every problem emphasizes learning with hints, targeted feedback and detailed solutions as well as a unique pedagogically focused drawing tool.
Accessible Organization with a Classic Framework:
- Framework emphasizes that the structure of an organic molecule determines how that molecule functions―either it’s physical behavior or in a chemical reaction
- NEW chapter-opening Learning Objectives and chapter-ending Summaries provide a framework for student learning by outlining the concepts appearing in each chapter.
- Early Introduction to Electron pushing arrows-- introduced in early sections and then reinforced in margins throughout the text to help students follow what is happening in the reaction
Focus on Reaction Mechanisms
- Animated Mechanisms allow students to visualize mechanisms by providing a moving image. NEW PowerPoint slides for the classroom include embedded animations as well as questions appropriate for in-class work or open response systems.
- NEW annotations on key mechanistic illustrations recall and reinforce the key tenets of mechanism.
- Interlude: A Summary of Organic Reaction Mechanisms?(following Chapter 14) summarizes the key mechanisms that drive the majority of organic reactions.
- Reaction Mechanism Summary Roadmaps?summarize the reactivity of each major functional group.
Problem Solving Skills and Strategy
- Expanded WHIP problem-solving strategy is included with solved exercises within each chapter, providing a guide for how students should approach problem solving: What How Information Proceed.
- NEW Guidelines highlight the steps that students will use to learn new materials and solve important problems.
- Worked Examples: Integrating the Concepts section at the end of every chapter includes a series of sample exercises with solutions of the chapter’s most important concepts.
- ChemCasts replicate the face-to-face experience of watching an instructor work a problem. Using a virtual whiteboard, the Organic ChemCast tutors show students the steps involved in solving key Worked Examples, while explaining the concepts along the way. The Worked Examples featured in the ChemCasts were chosen with the input of organic chemistry students.
- A wide range of end-of-chapter problems?include?Chapter Integration Problems?with step-by-step, worked out solutions, Team Problems?for collaborative learning, and?Pre-Professional?Problems?in the style of the?MCAT.?
Practical Applications and Visualization
- Every chapter features discussions of biological, medical, and industrial applications of organic chemistry
- Real Life Boxes- Real Chemistry By Practicing Chemists
- Really? Margin entries highlighting unusual and surprising aspects of Organic concepts intended to stimulate students’ engagement
- Animations in Sapling help students visualize the most important structures and concepts in organic chemistry.
- Graphical cues, animations, and models to help students visualize reactions to promotes understanding versus rote memorization
Buy On Amazon »
For MBA, engineering master, or senior-level undergraduate courses in supply chain management. A strategic framework for ...Details »
Paul Krugman and Robin Wells’ signature storytelling style helps readers understand how economic concepts play out in our worl ...Details »
For undergraduate and graduate courses in Accounting Information Systems (AIS). A market-leading text with the most compre ...Details »
... Molecular Model Student or Teacher Pack with Atoms, Bonds and Instructional GuideWhat is the Old Nobby Molecular Kit This Mo ...Details »
This manual includes chapter introductions that highlight new materials, chapter outlines, detailed comments for each chapter se ...Details »
David Myers’ bestselling Psychology has reached a wider audience of students and instructors with each new edition. Myers and ...Details »
Laboratory Techniques in Organic Chemistry is the most comprehensive and detailed presentation of the lab techniques organic che ...Details »
For courses in two-semester general chemistry. Accurate, data-driven authorship with expanded interactivity leads to greater ...Details »
For courses in one-semester human anatomy. A fresh voice strengthens a visually compelling, classic human anatomy text Re ...Details »