The Laws Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada (California Academy of Sciences)
In this groundbreaking and meticulously field-tested guide, the rich variety of Sierra life—trees, wildflowers, ferns, fungi, lichens, fish, reptiles, amphibians, birds, mammals, and insects—comes alive.
Easy-to-use features include:
- Intuitive organization, color tabs, and simple keys;
- Similar-looking species side by side;
- Over 2,800 full-color illustrations;
- Range maps of species that are otherwise difficult to distinguish;
- Index of common and scientific names;
- Lightweight and compact—ideal for backpacking.
Impressively detailed and comprehensive, the guide includes:
- More than 1,700 species;
- Descriptions of behavior, adaptations, and interactions between species;
- Species and topics not found in most guides, including aquatic life, spiders and webs, plankton, plant galls, bark beetle galleries, animal tracks and evidence, seasonal star charts, weather patterns, and cloud formations.
Buy On Amazon »
This handy book is designed to allow users to quickly identify the trees they encounter in the Sierra Nevada. Unlike other tree ...Details »
Over 35,000 copies sold! As a naturalist managing the field studies program at the California Academy of Sciences, John Muir Law ...Details »
The Sierra Nevada Nature Set offers the best in wildlife and plant identification for this spectacular region. The set includes ...Details »
The magnificent and much-loved Sierra Nevada, called the "Range of Light" by John Muir, is the dominant feature on the Californi ...Details »
Writing with verve and clarity, Mary Hill tells the story of the magnificent Sierra Nevada―the longest, highest, and most spec ...Details »
The ultimate guide to nature drawing and journaling! A potent combination of art, science, and boundless enthusiasm, the latest ...Details »
The classic key to identifying native trees of the Pacific Coast, updated to reflect changes in the names of trees since publica ...Details »
The Sierra Nevada region is a land of alpine lakes, ubiquitous mountains, and meadows filled with a seemingly endless variety of ...Details »
From sprawling fields of showy hillside poppies, lupines, and paintbrushes in the foothills to orchids, lilies, and primroses in ...Details »